Have you ever wondered how you clean leather bags, for them to stay as precious as they are at the time you buy them? If you’re reading this you might have just got yourself a buffalo or suede leather bag and are desperate to get some tips on how to care of your new bag, keeping ugly stains at bay.
If you brought your leather bag back from a trip, it might be a precious souvenir rather than a fashion item. A reminder of your fading memories of a great time in your life, bringing back your conversation with the bag shop owner and the local smells and sounds every time you look at the bag. The bag is evidence of your adventure.
But maybe one of the reasons you’ve bought a real leather bag is because you like the way leather ages over time alongside us, how it takes on that cool Vintage Look. Yes, leather bags become more characteristic over time, no two bags look the same after a few months.
However, even if you're after the Used-Look, in order for you to enjoy your bag for a long time without cracks and stains, there are a few things you should know about how to clean leather bags. If you take proper care of the bag, you’ll have a companion for life.
These 5 tips will help you to clean leather bags made of suede or buffalo skin:
- Avoid direct sunlight as much as possible.
- Avoid water: Don’t carry your leather bag around in the rain. Keep your bag in a cool and dry place.
- If your leather bag gets dirty, make sure it’s dry, then brush it off with a cloth or a soft brush. Treat it gently to avoid cracks in the skin.
- Use leather conditioner regularly (about once per month) to keep the leather moist, and to keep wrinkling and flaking to a minimum. Only apply the conditioner on dry leather.
- Apply some leather polish after the conditioner has dried. Keep the layer thin to avoid any stains.
With these 5 tips how to clean and care of your leather bag, you can enjoy your bag forever. Appreciating the uniqueness of the natural aging process while keeping an even look without cracks and stains.
Want to buy a new bag for your collection? See the Leather Bags in our Gallery.